[Tweeters] FW: Seattle (Ballard) scrub jays

Brett Wolfe m_lincolnii at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 5 19:22:22 PDT 2007

Hi all,

A freidn of mine lives on 65th between 8th & 9th and these Western Scrub Jays come to his yard all of the time. He isn't sure where they nest either, but he sees young birds pretty much every year.

A couple of weeks back, I was at the bus stop on 8th Ave near 87th. I heard a jay sound that I knew wasn't a Steller's Jay, and looked up to see a Western Scrub Jay fly to the top of a conifer and hang out for about 5 minutes. There were a pair of Steller's Jays in the same tree, who didn't seem to like the interloper. Made me wonder if that is a dispersed former offspring of the ones near 60th-65th.

No matter how one looks at it, there are many pairs of Western Scrub Jays in Seattle now, and the population seems to be slowly growing. In many ways, I am surprised I don't see more of them around here yet.

Brett A. Wolfe
Seattle, WA
m_lincolnii at yahoo.com

Ruth Taylor <rutht at seanet.com> wrote:
Hi Allison & Tweets:

Western Scrub-jays have nested in Ballard for several years, and it appears
that there has been more than one pair nesting in some years.
This summer a pair nested on either 60th or perhaps 61st west of 8th NW. I
live in that area and have had a lot of fun watching them, but haven't been
able to locate exactly where they nested. I've talked to the residents at a
couple of likely yards, but they don't know either - only that they are very
active and noisy. This pair had 3 young; I was lucky enough to see all 3
along with the adults a few times. I had at least 4 together at one time
last week in the yard across the street from my place.
A little over a week ago I saw 2 in a yard NW of the intersection of 14th &
58th, close to where Allison reported them; I don't know if these are from
the nest near where I live or perhaps from another nest.
I've seen several interactions between scrub-jays and Steller's Jays over
the last week or so, too, as lots and lots of Steller's Jays are moving
through.

Ruth Taylor
Seattle/Ballard
rutht AT seanet.com