[Tweeters] Ocean Shores, 12 October 2007: TRKI

Charlie Wright c.wright7 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 12 22:36:18 PDT 2007

Hello All:

Today I birded from Ocean Shores to Tokeland in calm, sunny weather. The
first stop was Hoquiam STP, where I had a White-throated Sparrow with a
large flock of the two common Zonotrichia. There were a few storm-blown
birds in the STP: 150 Surf Scoters, 2 White-winged Scoters, and 1 Red-necked

>From there I drove to the Pt. Brown Jetty. I scoped the ocean for about 30

minutes and was able to see 10 Northern Fulmars, 1 Snow Goose (migrating
with Cackling Geese) and 1 Humpback Whale (showing flukes during dives, well
offshore). A little while later at the Ocean Shores STP were 6 Pectoral
Sandpipers and 7 Long-billed Dowitchers. Nearby, in the game range were 18
Lapland Longspurs mixed in with a hundred or so pipits. Dunlins have arrived
in good numbers.

As I was driving out of Ocean Shores, I drove under a Tropical Kingbird
along Point Brown Avenue. This was just a few blocks north/west of the
Silver King Motel. The bird was still in the area when I left about 2:15pm.
I played a Tropical Kingbird tape to see if it would call, but it wasn't

The rest of the day I didn't see anything unusual.

Photos of the Tropical Kingbird can be viewed at my Flickr URL:

Charlie Wright
Bonney Lake, Washington