[Tweeters] Seattle Audubon Port Angeles to Sequim trip (long)

B & P Bell bellasoc at isomedia.com
Wed Oct 17 12:53:42 PDT 2007

Hi Tweets

Yesterday, several of us from Seattle Audubon took a trip to Port Angeles to Sequim. The rain missed us during the day (had some on the trip home) and temperatures were moderate with little to no wind. We got great views of Harlequin Ducks (males in stunning breeding plumage) at Ediz Hook. There was one Pacific Loon just offshore from Ediz Hook - it was still essentially in breeding plumage - striking. At Dungeness NWR we had a male Northern Harrier harassing a bird in a tree - it turned out to be a Common Raven and the two dueled for a while. Just as they broke off a Cooper's Hawk came in to join the fray. Then the Cooper's and harrier harassed each other. Quite a show. The wigeon are certainly back - we had at least 3000 American Wigeon at Three Crabs along with at least 2 Eurasian Wigeon.

The following are the birds that we saw:

Ferry -
Surf Scoter - 15
White-winged Scoter - 2
Heermann's Gull - 25+
Glaucous-winged Gull - 15

Hwy 101 on way on Olympic Peninsula
Red-tailed Hawk - 1
Rock Pigeon - 9
Common Raven - 2

Railroad Bridge Park/Dungeness Audubon Center
Steller's Jay - 1
American Crow - 2
Black-capped Chickadee - 1
Winter Wren - 1
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet - 3 heard
Cedar Waxwing - 9
Spotted Towhee - 2
Song Sparrow - 3
Golden-crowned Sparrow - 3
Dark-eyed Junco - 1
House Finch - 4
Pine Siskin - 7

Ediz Hook -
Pacific Loon - 1 on Strait side
Common Loon - 7 inside Port Angeles harbor and in 3 Strait
Horned Grebe - 2 in Strait
Red-necked Grebe - 2 in P.A. harbor
Double-crested Cormorant - 20+ in P. A. harbor
Pelagic Cormorant - 2 in P.A. harbor
Great Blue Heron - 15 in P.A. harbor
Mallard - 10 in P.A. harbor
Harlequin Duck - 30+ in P.A. harbor
Surf Scoter - 25+ in P.A. harbor
Bufflehead - 2 females in P.A. harbor
American Coot - several in P.A. harbor
Black-bellied Plover - 5 in P.A. harbor
Black Oystercatcher - 2 in P.A. harbor
Black Turnstone - 21 in P. A. harbor
Dunlin - 1 in P. A. harbor
Heermann's Gull - 35+ in P. A. harbor
Ring-billed Gull - 1 in P.A. harbor
California Gull - 3 in P. A. harbor
Western Gull - 1 in P. A. harbor
Glaucous-winged Gull - 50+ in P.A. harbor, 12 on Strait
Common Murre - 2 on Strait
Pigeon Guillemot - 4 on Strait, 3 in harbor
Rhinoceros Auklet - 1 on Strait
House Sparrow - 18 on hook

Kitchen Dick Ponds -
Great Blue Heron 1
Greater White-fronted Goose 1
Gadwall - 8
American Wigeon - 14
Mallard - 30
Northern Shoveler - 2
Green-winged Teal - 10
Ring-necked Duck - 7
Ruddy Duck - 12
American Coot - 25+
Northern Flicker - 1
Black-capped Chickadee - 1
American Robin - 1

Kitchen Dick Rd. -
Brewers' Blackbird - 30

Dungeness NWR -
Northern Harrier - 1 male
Cooper's Hawk - 1
Northern Flicker - 1
Common Raven - 1 There was a extensive interaction between the raven, harrier and cooper's
American Robin - 6

Oyster House/Dungeness Landing
Double-crested Cormorant - 20+
Canada Goose - 12 flyover
American Wigeon - 800+ at a distance
Bald Eagle - 1
Black-bellied Plover - 12
Ring-billed Gull - 2
California Gull - 1
Glaucous-winged Gull - 8

Three Crabs
Common Loon - 2
Double-crested Cormorant - 30
Eurasian Wigeon - 2
American Wigeon - at least 3000
Mallard - 15
Surf Scoter - 10+
Mourning Dove - 7 on road Helen's Pond is on
European Starling - 20 on road Helen's Pond is on
Red-winged Blackbird - 1
House Finch - 4
American Goldfinch - 3
House Sparrow - 1

Jamestown Rd. -
Black-capped Chickadee - 4
Chestnut-backed Chickadee - 1
Bushtit - 12

Schmuck Rd. -
Mew Gull - 50?
Glaucous-winged Gull - 60+

John Wayne Marina -
Red-necked Grebe - 1
Horned Grebe - 2
White-winged Scoter - 2

A nice day with 66 species seen, and some such as the Harlequins at close distance.

Brian H. Bell
Woodinville Wa
mail to bell asoc at isomedia dot com