[Tweeters] Subject: Re: re: Seattle Great Gray Owl

Scott Atkinson scottratkinson at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 17 13:23:46 PDT 2007

Tweeters:

While being tame seems more like Great Gray, I've had Barreds stay close (and in semi-open perches) on occasion.  I'm struck that staff accompanying the observer said the bird had been around for awhile--that sounds Barred to me.  Skagit County (at last count) has about 9-10 Great Gray Owl encounters, most from foothill sites and/or a bit inland.    The main thing is that most are mid and late winter reports, especially Jan-March.  I'm not sure that there are any lowland wWA reports ever for Oct until now, and I'm hard-pressed to even recall a Novenmber bird...

Scott Atkinson
Lake Stevens
mail to:  scottratkinson at hotmail.com