[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 27 Oct

Valerie Elliott VElliott at msn.com
Sat Oct 27 21:36:33 PDT 2007

Rosalind Philips and I walked the 1-mile loop and up to the Dike Trail cutoff today from about 4-6 p.m. It was cool, but a very pleasant walk. I was surprised at the lack of cars in the parking lot - pretty empty considering the nice weather. We saw the following birds, in no particular order, plus other critters. Not many birds, but good diversity.

American bittern
fox sparrow
song sparrow
Canada geese
American wigeon
ring-necked duck
pileated woodpecker (at least 2 in the area)
yellow-rumped warbler
ruby-crowned kinglet
pied-billed grebe
green heron
Bewick's wren
brown creeper
black-capped chickadee
cedar waxwing
American robin

Heard lots of chorus frogs, but they remained well hidden.

Also seen:

1 unidentified darner dragonfly
harbor seal
1 gray squirrel that all but climbed up our legs - try to scare it off, but it kept returning

Valerie Elliott
Olympia, WA