[Tweeters] Ocean Shores, 27 October 2007

Charlie Wright c.wright7 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 27 18:44:26 PDT 2007

Hello All
Today I headed out to Ocean Shores for a full day of birding. While driving
out, I called the Birdbox and heard about Joe Buchanan's Mountain Plover. So
I headed out there first and drove the beach a few times. I had no luck
finding the plover. On a second attempt in the afternoon, I did have two
SNOW BUNTINGS in the higher dunes, and my first of season Northern Shrike
flew over the road as I drove back towards the highway. In the afternoon,
there were also vast quantities of Dunlin and some Black-bellied Plovers on
the outer beach, and intermixed were six basic plumaged RED KNOTS.

I scanned the ocean for about an hour from the Pt. Brown/Ocean Shores Jetty.
Highlight was a basic adult SABINE'S GULL flying to the south. There was
about a dozen Black-legged Kittiwakes flying about, several Marbled
Murrelets, and at least 3 ROCK SANDPIPERS among a flock of 100+ Surfbirds
and 25+ Black Turnstones on the jetty tip.

The Game Range was actually slow. There was a very noisy flock of 25 Black
Scoters in the bay, but not much else.

cheers
Charlie Wright
Bonney Lake, Washington