[Tweeters] Montlake Fill & place names

Louise Rutter louise.rutter at eelpi.gotdns.org
Mon Oct 29 18:44:00 PDT 2007

Hi Tweets,

I'm back from a few days away, and I've been watching this discussion in my
absence. I guess the only thing I have to offer is the perspective that I'm
still very much one of those 'newbies' - I only joined Tweeters and started
birding Washington state at the beginning of this year. I'm still
discovering new birding sites here on the west side as they pop up on the
list, let alone out east which I've managed to bird only a few times.

I didn't ever find any particular issue with terminology or place locations
- I dropped by birdweb.org basically around the same time I joined the list
(if I was going to bird Washington, I was going to run a search on
'Washington birdwatching'), and got wonderful directions to many of the
sites that appear regularly. As place names have cropped up, I've found very
few that I can't successfully google in a minute or two, and get directions
to either from the official sites of larger places or from older birding
reports that appear. Only three or four times have I resorted to emailing a
poster to ask if they could direct me to the location they mentioned, and
I've always received a prompt and helpful reply.

I've never felt in any way intimidated or confused by the variation in name
usage for sites such as Union Bay and Green River, as they would either be
on birdweb or become very quickly apparent with enough thoughtful people
using both. It would of course be lovely to see an expansion of the birdweb
site, or an equivalent, that reported yet more good places to go, but I'd
have to say that it isn't hard to find information as things currently
stand. I've found you all to be a delightfully welcoming and thoroughly
helpful group of people to an ignorant from a far land - maybe I'm a
particularly bolshy birder, and maybe other new people have come along and
run off screaming without ever saying hi, but I wouldn't say that Tweeters
needs to change - it's great as it is!

Louise Rutter

Kirkland