[Tweeters] Re: Marbled or Long-billed Murrelet?

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Sun Sep 2 16:33:55 PDT 2007

Hi, guys.

Actually, that alcid is a juvenile Pigeon Gullemot. No adult molting
into or out of breeding plumage would have that dark-capped murre
look (juveniles are at times mistaken for murres), the barring on the
sides, or the very small amount of white on the wing coverts. Some
juveniles lack white on the coverts entirely and are all dark, others
look even more like a murre than Bob's photo. Juvenile alcids are
rarely illustrated adequately in field guides.

Dennis
-----
Dennis Paulson
1724 NE 98 St.