[Tweeters] On the Duwamish - Field trip 9-8-2007

Desilvis, Denis J denis.j.desilvis at boeing.com
Mon Sep 10 07:37:17 PDT 2007

Tweeters,
Six of us visited the lower Duwamish River (Seattle) for about 5 hours
starting at 7:30am on Saturday, Sep 8, stopping at T-102 park, T-107
park, Hamm Creek, and Turning Basin #3 -- about a 5-mile journey in all.
Weather was simply gorgeous, with clear skies, temps starting in the low
50s and getting toward the mid-70s by noon. Many mudflats were exposed
(high tide at 2:17am, low tide (-0.5ft) at 9:27am), but the only
shorebirds we saw were KILLDEER and SPOTTED SANDPIPER. Ospreys were seen
at all locations, and we had a very good close-up view of a juvenile
bird at Hamm Creek. It appears as if this was yet another good year for
Osprey fledglings along the Duwamish.

Seattle City Light personnel were removing the power lines from the
poles along Hamm Creek, and the noise and activity most likely kept the
numbers of birds sighted to a low point. Other activity on the river
included a lot of fishermen after salmon, which were seen jumping at
ever site.

We had at least three different ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRDS at T-102, and
another at T-107.

Highlights: WOOD DUCK at the Turning Basin. I've seen a Wood Duck here
nearly every Fall for the past 4 years, and this year was no exception.
We had excellent views of this molting bird, which was among a group of
Mallards. Two PURPLE MARTINS remained near T-102. A MEW GULL and a
RING-BILLED GULL were seen at T-107 and Turning Basin #3, respectively.

Total species seen: 28, which is a low count. Possibly the fishing
activity along the river, as well as the City Light work at Hamm Creek,
contributed to the low species and number count. At T-107/Kellogg
Island, where fishing/boating activity was negligible, both the species
count and numbers of birds was quite a bit higher than the other areas.

Lots of ripe blackberries at all sites except T-102.

Birds seen or heard and location

Terminal 102 Park (12 spp):
Double-crested Cormorant
Osprey
Glaucous-winged Gull
Anna's Hummingbird
Steller's Jay
American Crow
Purple Martin
Bushtit
Bewick's Wren
European Starling
Song Sparrow
House Finch

Terminal 107 Park/Kellogg Island (17 spp):
Mallard
Green-winged Teal
Common Merganser
Double-crested Cormorant