[Tweeters] Mt. Baker Hiking, Mon. 9/10/7

Michael Willison sendtomichael at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 10 23:51:41 PDT 2007

Hi Tweeters,

After reading Khanh's highlights from a couple days ago, I had an open day
and decided to head up myself.  I hiked the approx. 8 mile "Chain Lakes"
loop trail as well as making a quick stop at Silver Lake about 20 miles west
to check that area out.  Very hot weather in the mountains, approaching 80F
and not a cloud in the sky.  Not much shade anywhere along that entire trail
either....  I only observed about 30 species, very low overall numbers of
birds as well.  I should have taken the Table Mtn trail to try and pick up
some of the nice species that were found on it the other day.  My highlights
today below:

Silver Lake:
Evening Grosbeak
Common Yellowthroat
Am Kestrel
Pine Siskens

Heather Meadows and Chain Lakes Loop:
GC Kinglet
RC Kinglet
CB Chickadee
Savannah Sparrow
WC Sparrow
DE Juncos
Band-tailed Pigeon (8)
Vaux's Swift (3 flyover, no Blacks seen)
Baird's Sandpiper (1 at Bagley Lakes)
Spotted Sandpiper (1 at Bagley Lakes)
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker (about 2 miles below Heather Meadows along road)
Gray Jays (3)
RB Nuthatch (2)
Am Pipits (about 30 on snowfield at Ptarmigan Ridge trail and Chain Lakes
trail intersection)
YR Warblers
Red Crossbill (2)
Sooty Grouse (3 along trail above Chain Lakes)

Mammals:
Black Bear! (just off trail above Chain Lakes, grazing calmly allowing super
observation at about 50 yds)
Pika
Chipmunk Sp.

Michael Willison, Stanwood, sendtomichael at hotmail.com