[Tweeters] Collared-Dove Bonanza in Skagit County

Wayne Weber contopus at telus.net
Wed Sep 19 23:06:48 PDT 2007

Tweeters,

Early this afternoon, I decided to go looking for the Eurasian
Collared-Doves near Mount Vernon (Skagit Co.) that were reported a couple of
days ago by Gary Bletsch. I figured that, with luck, I might find at least 1
or 2 of these alien invaders. Well, to make a long story short, I found of
flock of at least NINE Eurasian Collared-Doves at the same location
described by Gary (see attached message).

The house in question is located at 16284 Calhoun Road--  a short distance
east of Beaver Marsh Road, on the south side of Calhoun. There is a large
monkey-puzzle tree (Araucaria araucana) in the front yard, as mentioned by
Gary. When I arrived, I saw one dove on the roof of the house. However, it
soon became apparent that more than one was present. At least two of the
doves were heard singing. At one point during the half-hour or so that I
stayed, I could see 9 doves at once-- five perched on a dead branch of the
monkey-puzzle tree (on the side away from the road-- visible from just east
of the house), three on the roof of the house, and one on the front lawn.
Sheesh! Just before I left, 5 of the doves flew off, one by one, to the east
along Calhoun, and landed in some trees about 100 yards away.

For awhile, I thought that maybe I was in Keremeos or Cawston, BC, where
there is a colony of at least 150 Eurasian Collared-Doves.

If I'm not mistaken, nine birds is the biggest group of collared-doves yet
reported in western Washington, although they are more numerous east of the
Cascades. (If I am mistaken, somebody please let me know!)

The invasion continues!!

Good luck and good birding,

Wayne C. Weber
Delta, BC