[Tweeters] Patrick Sullivan

wheelermombi at comcast.net wheelermombi at comcast.net
Sun Sep 23 19:41:14 PDT 2007

Ruth and Tweeters,

I can trace my obsession with birding to the Eurasian Thrush that appeared in Olympia a few winters back. I remember reading about it in the paper and decided to go and have a look for it. I didn't have a scope yet, and my binoculars dated to WWII. I had no idea how to find this bird. While cruising the neighborhood, I saw two people scoping out a tree full of A. Robins. I asked them if they had seen the thrush, and they told me that they had it in their scope and invited me to take a look. The briders, were, of course, Ruth and Patrick. Something about that experience clicked for me, and birding has since become my favorite pastime. Since then, they have shown me a Temminck's Stint, Bewick's Swan, and a host of other wonderful birds, always with enthusiasm and friendliness. I always knew that no matter how remote or far-flung a corner of the state that I was birding, I might run across them (always with a daily total at least 4 times my own). I am devasted by his !
loss.
Ruth, like so many others in the birding community, my thoughts go out to you.

Lonnie Somer
Olympia, WA
wheelermombi at comcast.net