[Tweeters] Patrick's Monday WOS trip

pslott VariedThrush at comcast.net
Sun Sep 23 17:16:55 PDT 2007

  We were also very lucky that Patrick and Ruth felt they had the room
to include Alan and me on their Monday WOS conference field trip to
“Ocean Shores South”. I learned more than ever from Patrick on that
trip. A few of us were looking for rarities as life birds and Patrick
was more than up to the task. Not only did I learn the full extent of
the Game Range, how to work with tides there, and its major waterways,
but also I learned how to really work an area for rarities. I got my
American Golden-Plover in spades as Patrick took us closer and closer to
the birds for the photographers in the group. Ever the conscientious
birder, Patrick pulled back before the birds were too disturbed and they
continued to feed as he led us off to try to relocate the Buff-breasted
Sandpipers that we’d seen earlier for better views. He was amazing as
always that day, identifying birds by ear, silhouette, and flight
pattern when I hadn’t even heard them zipping by. Certainly, every bird
that was in the area was identified by Patrick. I wanted to ask if I
could come down to Tacoma sometime when he and Ruth were going out, just
to tag along and learn what I could by being with him. I kept thinking
of the descriptions I’d read of experts from Cornell competing with each
other in identifying by ear the migrants flying over at night. Patrick
was a true expert. Many of us knew that.
Patrick’s death is a great loss to the birding community, a loss to me,
a loss to anyone who had the opportunity to bird with him. When I met
Patrick, he was already an expert birder, and over these few years he
became an expert trip leader, going for as much as the group could go
for and not pushing anyone beyond what they could do. Birding with
Patrick was always an ultimate experience.

Patricia S. Lott
Seattle, WA
mail to: VariedThrush at comcast.net