[Tweeters] Work Birding

Kathy Andrich chukarbird at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 26 09:41:46 PDT 2007

Hi Tweeters,

On the way to work today coming in off the Mercer exit
was a Red-tailed Hawk on a light standard.  Haven't
seen one there in quite awhile.  It won't be long and
I will be able to count up to half a dozen or more
along the way from Kent into Seattle.  The habitat
around South Lake Union is pretty crummy but the lake
is picking up a bit birdwise and I hope to drag my
scope around once a week to see what is out there in
the middle of the gull pile and the duck pile when
they arrive.  There is a very tame dumped pet Muscovy
in the little inlet by the Wooden Boat Center.  If you
don't have goodies which I never do for him he will
accept a pat on the back.

By the Seattle Times building where I sometimes park
is an on territory Anna's Hummingbird.  I saw him this
morning.  He has the bleakest territory of any
hummingbird I have ever seen but the background is
magnificent.  He perches on his barbed wire fence and
the Space Needle looms behind him.  It makes for a
great point/counterpoint experience.  I was glad to
have found him in the neighborhood.  I first noticed
him about 4 or 5 months ago.

I have seen evidence of Peregrine Falcon but have yet
to lay eyes on one since I have started working at
South Lake Union almost a year ago.  Another birder in
the building I work in is fortunate enough to work
where he has windows to look out of, so he gets to see
them occasionally.

When I am a good commuter and take the bus I have to
go into the real downtown area to catch the bus home.
Black-capped Chickadee's are not uncommon even
downtown.

Kathy
Roosting in S King County