[Tweeters] Hawk ID help needed ...

Lyn Topinka pointers at pacifier.com
Thu Sep 27 08:20:56 PDT 2007

hi group ... I'm almost hesitant to post but I could use help with
this bird ... I'm thinking a Red-Tailed however I'm new to birding
this year and all of my IDs aren't that great ... I've gone thru the
books and I've Googled lots of pix ... however there's something
about the posture of this bird and the dark coloration and lack of
white which makes me hesitant to say it definitely IS a Red-Tailed
... his location was Ridgefield NWR up by the entrance gate ... I've
seen lots of Red-Tails down below on the Refuge land and all of the
ones I've seen have much more white patching on the chest and they
seem to "slouch" (my term and most likely not a technical bird
term) when they sit ... this guy doesn't ...

thanks in advance,
pointers at pacifier dot com

Lyn Topinka