[Tweeters] poor woodpeckers

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Thu Sep 27 10:07:04 PDT 2007

I just heard today's BirdNote on woodpeckers, fun listening as
always. Then I came home to see that the neighbors behind us, at the
lip of the Thornton Creek ravine, were cutting off ALL the dead wood
on the bigleaf maples behind their house, all trees in our viewshed.
These are the trunks and branches where both flickers and Pileated
Woodpeckers have nested for years and where, when I heard a Pileated
call, I could often look out and see it up there silhouetted against
the sky. I know Red-breasted Nuthatches and Black-capped Chickadees
also nested there. Now these nest sites are all gone, and I see
nothing but green leaves. I suppose they got the trees pruned for
safety reasons, although most would have fallen into the ravine, not
on their house. These are neighbors very concerned about the world,
including the environment, yet they blithely got rid of all this
nesting habitat without a second thought. This was a reprise of
another set of neighbors next to us who trimmed off all the dead
branches of the maple in their yard that had always been attractive
to trunk-pecking birds, Olive-sided Flycatchers, and other birds that
liked open views. We actually asked them not to do it, but our
request fell on deaf ears, as they were more concerned with branches
falling on their children. This is of course a valid concern, but it
certainly doesn't paint a rosy picture for cavity-nesting birds in
settled areas. Sadly, another problem without an apparent solution,
short of a city ordinance that if you cut down dead branches you have
to put up bird boxes to replace them!
-----
Dennis Paulson
1724 NE 98 St.