[Tweeters] Band-tailed Pigeon Parental Behavior

hrudkaj mary hrudkajm at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 27 14:00:57 PDT 2007

A couple days ago while trying to do some sewing and watching the birds on the deck an adult and an immature band-tailed pigeon landed beside each other on the top crests of the two-hanger feeder pole.  The immature reached to its right and made a begging sound toward what I assume was one of its parents.  The mature pigeon let out a bit of a hiss and, in the blink of an eye, lashed out with its left wing and whapped the immature pigeon in the back of the head.  The immature did no further begging.

 Is this where we humans get the 'flicking the back of the head' routine we occassionally use on our kids and/or co-workers?  The more I watch birds the more I can see where we get some of our behaviors.

Mary Hrudkaj
Belfair/Tahuya