[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 9/27/07

Scrubjay323 at aol.com Scrubjay323 at aol.com
Thu Sep 27 16:13:25 PDT 2007

Tweets,

Today 12 of us walked Nisqually starting under cool, foggy conditions and
ending under bright sunshine.  We didn't get wet and the wind didn't blow,  so
it was a pleasant day.

There weren't many highlights except for a WHITE-THROATED SPARROW seen  by
some of the group off the boardwalk at the twin barns turn off.  Several  of the
group saw the bird but I was not one of the lucky ones.   Bummer!

Other highlights included a 3 falcon day with PEREGRINE FALCON in the
highest low brush, in the fog, on the way out to McAllister Creek, a MERLIN in  the
trees over the trail near the ring dike, and an AMERICAN KESTRAL out at the
far edge of the field behind the twin barns.  The KESTRAL and a NORTHERN
HARRIER were playing tag or something similar.

There were lots of MALLARDS around and some of the fields are starting to  be
flooded.  We also had several GREATER YELLOWLEGS fly over the refuge  near
the McAllister Creek overlook.  CANADA GEESE are starting to show up  and the
feral domestic goose was with them.

Not much passerine activity except for CEDAR WAXWINGS and YELLOW-RUMPED
WARBLERS.  All the YELLOWS from last week appear to be long gone.

All told we had 44 species for the day with the WHITE-THROATED SPARROW  being
the only new bird for the year.

Next week we will walk the full loop for the last time before they close  the
outer dike until the end of January for hunting season.  See you  then....

Phil  Kelley
Lacey, WA
scrubjay323 at aol.com
360-459-1499

" We were few  and they were many. Now we are many and they are  few"
Confucius