[Tweeters] Circling Ravens

Gene Bullock bullockg at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 29 10:01:04 PDT 2007

In the East, I've watched "kettling" Broad-winged Hawks use thermal updrafts
to spiral upward in order to gain altitude and find the higher altitude
currents that can carry them long distances with little effort.  I've seen
similar behavior by Turkey Vultures and Eagles.  When birds see another bird
working a strong updraft, they all head for that invisible column of rising
air.  It's called "kettling" because it resembles steam spiraling upward
from the spout of a boiling kettle.  During fall migrations, raptors may
hunker down for days in the valleys, waiting for the right wind conditions.
But when one or two birds find a strong thermal, others converge on the same
thermal. It's pretty dramatic to see thousands of hawks "boiling" up out of
a valley to join a sea of hawks streaming overhead.
Gene Bullock
Poulsbo