[Tweeters] Ridgefield NWR: Mtn Bluebird=No, but YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS are back

Bill Clemons willclemons at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 5 19:18:06 PDT 2008

My gregarious, nonagenarian Mother (Olive) and I birded the River "S" Unit at Ridgefield NWR from about 8a to 5:15p. From 11a on we birded with Carol Ledford. (~4mi W of I-5 at Exit 14 in SW Washington; http://www.fws.gov/ridgefieldrefuges/ ).

Highlights:

YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS: They have returned, but in small numbers. Today there were 4 males. We saw no females. At peak season last year there were 10 to 12 males and at least the same quantity of females. RNWR is one of the best places in the N Willamette Valley to see this species. At their peak, they can be seen close to the road, though today they were at the rear to middle of South Quigley Lake.

REDHEAD: A pair of these Beautiful Ducks were on Long Lake today. Quite nice! Even more so as we never saw any of the three Canvasbacks today.

Friends we had not seen in a while were also there, and it was nice to see Jeff Jendro, Em Scattaregia, her twin sons, Adrian and Christopher Hinkle (I will never see more than those amazing lads!), Marcia Marvin & Mark Miller.

Missed today were:
Black-throated Gray Warbler (seen by Kolleen Irvine "S" Unit, and the Hinkle Lads- Carty Unit)
Am Bittern
Canvasback
Mtn Bluebird
N Shrike

Bill Clemons
SW of Portland in Mtn Park
Willclemons AT Yahoo dot com

Complete list of 66 species seen / heard:

Pied-billed Grebe
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Cackling Goose