[Tweeters] count real fast continued

Larry Schwitters lpatters at ix.netcom.com
Wed Apr 9 17:31:34 PDT 2008

Last March 18th I posted "Anyone out there have any ideas on how to
get an accurate count of the number of individual swifts entering a
chimney?" Most of the replies centered around the use of video cameras
and slow motion playback. I believe that this would give the most
accurate results, but is a brutal time sucker, tho there is a least one
tweeter who might be up for it.

For now, here is the official Audubon Washington State 2008 Spring
Migration Roosting Vaux's Swift Count formula.

Should you be fortunate enough to have so many swifts you can't count

Square footage of the inside of the chimney X How long it takes for the
mass to enter the chimney in seconds + number of birds counted that
were not in the main flock = total number of swifts for the evening.

Any questions or comments?

Larry Schwitters