[Tweeters] Ridgefield NWR: CASPIAN TERN, COMMON RAVENS, Lovely weather.

Bill Clemons willclemons at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 10 17:59:02 PDT 2008

My Mom (Olive) and I birded the River "S" Unit at Ridgefield NWR (~4mi W of I-5 at Exit 14 in SW Washington; http://www.fws.gov/ridgefieldrefuges/ ). We were there from about 7:17a until 1:30p, making only one loop, but including a walk on the Kiwa Trail. Ol' 92 year old Olive walked the whole Kiwa Trail using her walker and stopping now and then to rest or pluck a flower or two to put in her basket.

It was an absolutely gorgeous day with very few mosquitoes, lots of lovely puffy clouds and just a touch of a breeze.

It was somewhat quiet on the bird chatter side of the day.

Highlights:

BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON: There have been two adults reported as recently as yesterday, but I only saw one today. It was in the water control canal befort the parking lot at The Blind.

COMMON RAVEN: Surprise of the day was seeing not one, but three COMMON RAVENS. These may very likely be some of the same individuals Scott Carpenter reported in July. I saw two flying easterly and quite noisily above the entrance canyon road about 7:30 in the morning. Sumner, the Sunday volunteer and I also saw one flying around above the parking lot at the Kiwa Trail at the start of our walk about 11am. It eventually flew away to the NW.

CASPIAN TERN: Seen and heard flying from N to S and heading over Rest Lake while we were getting out of the car in the parking lot at The Blind.

BLACK SWIFT: Three or four seen over the road on the E side of Rest Lake

Bill Clemons
SW of Portland in Mtn Park
willclemons AT Yahoo dot com

Birding:
The best excuse for getting outdoors
And avoiding chores

Complete list of 59 species seen / heard:

Pied-billed Grebe
American Bittern
Great Blue Heron
GREAT EGRET
BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON
Turkey Vulture
Wood Duck
Mallard
Cinnamon Teal
Northern Shoveler
NORTHERN PINTAIL (several seen on Rest Lake)
REDHEAD (a pair seen on Rest Lake)
Ring-necked Duck (lots seen on Rest Lake)
Ruddy Duck (still plenty of them with babies seen on Rest Lake)
Osprey
Bald Eagle (1 adult spooking most all the ducks on Rest Lake)
Northern Harrier
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
VIRGINIA RAIL (1 juv seen on the Kiwa Trail)
American Coot
Killdeer
Least Sandpiper (about 8 seen on Rest Lake)
Long-billed Dowitcher (at least a couple of dozen seen on Rest Lake)
Wilson's Snipe (1 seen at S Quigley Lake)
CASPIAN TERN
Mourning Dove
BLACK SWIFT
Vaux's Swift
Red-breasted Sapsucker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Western Wood-Pewee
Willow Flycatcher
Steller's Jay
Western Scrub-Jay
American Crow
COMMON RAVEN
PURPLE MARTIN (one seen on the Kiwa Trail)
Tree Swallow
Violet-green Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee
Bushtit (flock of 18 or so in entrance canyon)
Red-breasted Nuthatch (in entrance canyon)
White-breasted Nuthatch
Bewick's Wren
American Robin
European Starling