[Tweeters] Coastal Birding 8-23

Ruth Sullivan godwit513 at msn.com
Sun Aug 24 16:14:30 PDT 2008

Hello Tweeters,
It was such glorious weather for going to the Coast attempt to finding some
Migrants.I start birding in the Elma area on Highway 12 Thurs Oakville.My
first stop was on Twidwell Road,this is the place Patrick an I found a
Black Phoebe few years back and we had the reliable Red-breasted
Sapsucker's.
First birds where 1 Adult and 1 juvenile Kestrel,2 RED BREASTED
SAPSUCKER'S,2 MORNING DOVES,6 WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS,and 3 SCRUB -JAYS.First
group of 75 Swallows grouping up to migrate.
Next birding Block House Rd.25 TURKEY VULTURE,15 GOLDFINCHES,2 WHITE-CROWNED
SPARROWS,1 GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET,1 RED-TAILED HAWK,1 BALD EAGLE,50
RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS,2 NORTHERN FLICKERS,2 PURPLE FINCHES
Next Dunlop Rd.there where no water in the fields and the fields are mostly
all Corn growing.I drove to the end past the bridge where the birding
started.There where over 100 all juvenile SAVANNAH SPARROWS,1 MARSH HAWK,1
KESTREL, 2 YELLOW-THROADS,parking on the end of Dunlop Rd I saw a lot of
movement on the (I believe is the Chehalis River) of small birds as,8
WESTERN TANAGER,25 BUSHTIT'S,5 SONG SPARROWS,1 COOPERS HAWK
I arrived in Tokeland at 1.00 PM since the tide was at 5.23 PM at 8.5 to
make sure that I get the Shorebirds still on the mud feeding .and the
purpose to watch the Martins.I could not believe seeing so many cars and
trailers parked,IT WAS THE OPENING OF SALMON FISHING.
I already heard the two adult ,Martin flying overhead,there seems upset
,since all people used the dock where the Martin houses where.there came
real fast to bring the food to the first box.There where no action in the
second box.All together I counted 6 Martin.
Grave Yard Spit, LONG-BILLED CURLEWS 9,First for me for the fall season.Lots
of Gulls 250 HEERMANN'S GULLS, only 12 CASPIAN TERNS,,MEW GULLS,RING- BILLED
GULLS,and 3 TURKEY in front.
There still was the off plumage Marbled Godwit what been there since August
5th.other birds included WHIMBREL 7,,on the logs more HEERMANN'S GULLS ,with
6 DOUBLE -CRESTED CORMORANT,and 3 BREWERS BLACKBIRDS
It got later than I wanted,at 3.00 PM I birdied NORTH COVE .
5 BROWN PELICAN, 1 HERRING GULL (first for me for the season) 20 HEERMANN'S
GULLS,30 RING-BILLED
GULLS,20 MEW GULLS,60 OLYMPUS GULLS, 6 SANDERLINGS and 1 HAIRY WOODPECKER.
MIDWAY BEACH, very few SHOREBIRDS
I SNOWY PLOVER, 25 RED-NECKED PHALAROPES, 9 WESTERN SANDPIPERS, and one
WESTERN GULL
looking pretty bad grasping for air.
I had enough time left since it was to late for Bottle beach for the high
tide,so I backed up and drove around the Cranberry fields.This was always a
must for Patrick ,even I resented driving around seldom seeing anything.But
we did had a WHITE-TAILED KITE and a Cattle EGRET there
I started there at 4,00 PM driving looking in the small ponds who all had
water in them.All what I came up with was 1 Green HERON and lots and lots of
Swallows on wires to leave here any time soon.
On the way home on Highway 8, I saw a roadkill it was a adult RED-TAILED
HAWK.I was tempted to make a U-TURN to
pick up this Hawk,but I was to tired to drive quite way back.

It was" A GOOD DAY "of birding.

Cheers Ruth Sullivan