[Tweeters] Brown-headed Cowbird and Dark-eyed Junco and others...

jmy09 at aol.com jmy09 at aol.com
Wed Aug 6 14:12:05 PDT 2008

This may not be unusual, but for me at my backyard feeder it is a first. A BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD chick showed up with DARK-EYED JUNCO. Poor thing...the Junco that is. She is trying to show it how to eat a seed off of the deck railing and then to fly up to the feeder. He just keeps rattling away and begging for more!!

I live in Mill Creek (the original Mill Creek Community Association in Snohomish Co WA) and have had feeders for 28 years and never seen a Cowbird. Is this new? or is it because the forest and land all around be is going away?

Also this week my sightings in the Nature Preserve along Penny Creek (fish ladder to golf course pond):

BALD EAGLE (1) eating a squirrel
OSPREY (2) juvenile and adult training expedition, not sure where nest is located
GREAT BLUE HERON (1)
SHARP-SHINNED HAWK
BELTED KINGFISHER (2)
PILEATED WOODPECKER (3) mom, dad, and juvenile
DOWNEY WOODPECKER (1)
HAIRY WOODPECKER (5) appeared a family
BARRED OWL (1)
ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD
STELLER'S JAYS
AMERICAN DIPPERS (2)
and the usual ROBINS, SPOTTED TOWEE, VARIED THRUSH, SWAINSON'S THRUSH, WINTER WREN, CROWS and MALLARD DUCKS

Whew...there maybe more but I am only a novice birder....I will keep watching and learning from you all!

Janis Young
Mill Creek, Snohomish County, WA