[Tweeters] Ptarmigan on Burroughs Mountain, Mt. Rainier NP

AJ Knue bluejay at surfbirder.com
Fri Aug 15 20:40:29 PDT 2008

Hello All,

Today I visited Mt. Rainier with my brother visiting from Hawaii, my sister
and my partner- we hiked all the way to Second Burroughs on this sunny very
warm day. Not a lot of birds, but a mother White-tailed Ptarmigan with 4
chicks was right next to the trail not too far below the top of First
Burroughs. A few other species around included a couple Gray-crowned
Rosy-Finch also at First Burroughs, Horned Lark adult with young on top of
First Burroughs, Evening Grosbeak flocks here and there, and a flock of 15
Northern Pintail sweeping by as we were coming down off Second Burroughs.

The wildflowers were spectacular, but the warm weather brought out the deer
flies and mosquitoes- bring the repellent!

Good Birding, Alan

AJ Knue

bluejay at surfbirder.com

Seattle, WA, USA