[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 8/27/08

Scrubjay323 at aol.com Scrubjay323 at aol.com
Wed Aug 27 16:50:34 PDT 2008

Tweets,

Today 8 of us enjoyed a walk at Nisqually mostly along the Nisqually River
side. Well, enjoyed might not be the right word. Endured might be a better
word. It was a noisy day, with the heavy equipment, the chain saws and the
jet sleds in the river it was not a typical Nisqually experience. And the
birds seemed to notice also.

The highlights of the day were 2 AMERICAN BITTERN behind the visitor center,
a GREEN HERON inside the slough past the ring dike, and a very curious
LONG-TAILED WEASEL out near the primitive trail. Other than that it was a pretty
quiet day birdwise.

I spotted the first BITTERN along the shore of the pond and as we watched it
a second BITTERN flew to our right from the same area. The GREEN HERON was
well hidden on a log in the slough near where some WOOD DUCKS were hanging
out and didn't stay put long.

The LONG-TAILED WEASEL appeared to be a juvenile and was very curious about
us. It scurried up and down some small trees stopping frequently to look at
us. There were several BLACK-CAPPED CHACKADEES keeping an eye on the weasel.

I keep hoping to see some shorebirds on the mud created by the construction
of the new ponds but the only thing we saw today was some KILDEER.

Warbler numbers were way down and we did not see a woodpecker today. All
told we saw 38 species with nothing new for the year.

The trail to McAllister Creek is still closed and construction of the new
berm is behind schedule. Appears the water table is higher than expected.

Not sure if we can walk the full loop next week or not, but we will try.

Until then....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 @aol.com
Lacey, WA