[Tweeters] Notes from Roy: 12-18-2008 - Common Redpoll, Western Scrub-jay+

Denis DeSilvis avnacrs4birds at q.com
Thu Dec 18 11:06:02 PST 2008

Tweeters,

When I checked the feeding birds out front, I noted a WESTERN SCRUB-JAY - my
first in the winter here - gobbling up the cracked corn that I mixed with
the usual ground feed I put out. However, my attention was really grabbed by
a much smaller bird in the branches above the jay: about the size of a Pine
Siskin (had more of those today); dark streaking on breast; red "spot" on
forehead; no other red on the bird, including rump and chest. I'm pretty
familiar with all the color variations of the local House Finches (this bird
was smaller than nearby House Finches). After examining the bird again and
noting the small, light-colored bill (vis a vis the larger, dark bills of
the Purple and House Finches), I finally figured out that I was seeing a
female COMMON REDPOLL - a new bird for the site and the 98th species here
for the year.

A NORTHERN SHRIKE, as well as two more woodpeckers - RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER
and NORTHERN FLICKER - were additions to the daily list. Missed seeing any
White-Crowned Sparrows or the Lincoln's Sparrow today, but the other six
sparrow species are here. The female Ring-necked Pheasant has also been
absent. (After reading Mike Wagenbach's post on the Mountain Chickadee in
Seattle, I'll be checking all the chickadees more closely.)

Received about an inch+ of snow last night and early this morning, with the
temperature ranging from about 31deg F to a current 38deg F. All the
ground-feeders were focused in snow-free areas under the Douglas-firs, and
I've actually had fewer numbers of birds (more of some species) than the
past few days.

Not many Mourning Doves right now, but when I went to refill seed containers
about 7:45am, there were over 50 under the Doug-firs out front.

Birds seen thus far today:

California Quail - 4

Mourning Dove - 50+

Red-breasted Sapsucker - 1

Downy Woodpecker - 2

Northern Flicker -1

Steller's Jay - 4

Western Scrub-jay - 1

American Crow - 1

Black-capped Chickadee - 6

Chestnut-backed Chickadee - 3

Red-breasted Nuthatch - 2

American Robin - 1

Varied Thrush - 2 (and one of them obviously didn't like the other feeding
in the same area: it repeatedly chased the other bird until it left)

Yellow-rumped Warbler - 1 (REALLY likes the one suet station)

Spotted Towhee - 5

Fox Sparrow - 3

Song Sparrow - 5

White-throated Sparrow - 1