[Tweeters] Marymoor Park Report (Redmond, King Co., WA) 2008-12-18

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at verizon.net
Thu Dec 18 14:35:01 PST 2008

Tweets - There was six inches of snow when we started, and more falling
(about another 2" during the count). The roads were trecherous. I was
surprised I wasn't birding alone. But Brian Bell managed to make it down
from Woodinville, and Ollie walked down from his house. A beautiful
morning, snowing most of the time, and only windy at the end. Birdy too.
While the little birds were hard to come by, those we saw gave us great,
close looks. Waterfowl numbers were way up, probably because everything
else is frozen.

Highlights:

A four-goose day, with CANADAs being outnumbered perhaps 5-1 by CACKLERS.
We had one SNOW GOOSE and one or two GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE.

Twelve species of duck, including First-of-the-winter NORTHERN PINTAIL and
GREATER SCAUP (one female each).

We had 20 KILLDEER fly overhead, which seemed surprising in the winter, plus
a couple of WILSON'S SNIPE.

Brian had a RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER.

The NORTHERN SHRIKE was hunting in the East Meadow. It chased off a WESTERN
MEADOWLARK there.

Two or more AMERICAN PIPITS flew over the East Meadow. This is our
first-ever December sighting for that species.

Two gorgeous male PURPLE FINCHES fed at about eye-level for us. FOX
SPARROWS and SPOTTED TOWHEES were especially prevalent and visible.

Ollie walked through the mansion area on his way home after Brian and I
left. We all skipped the Rowing Club. So it was an abbreviated visit.

Still, we managed 52 species!

== Michael Hobbs
== Kirkland, WA
== http://www.marymoor.org/birding.htm