[Tweeters] Skagit Co: Bohemian Waxwing, White-thr. Sparrow, more....

Michael Willison sendtomichael at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 20 07:49:36 PST 2008

Tweeters,

I had a very enjoyable afternoon, walking the dike trail at the Skagit Game Range, on Fir Island Skagit Co. today. Very clear conditions, no wind and a crisp 11F with a foot of snow covering everything! Highlight was a lone BOHEMIAN WAXWING sitting on top of a bush out near the very end of the new dike (furthest point in the loop from the parking lot). I was even able to digiscope a couple shots through the binos!

Birds were very active today. Thousands of Pine Siskens were in the area, I couldn't find any Redpoll amongst them however. I Observed many Varied Thrush, more Red-breasted Sapsuckers than I've ever seen in a single day (probably 12), Hairy, Downy and Flickers, Merlin, Sharp-shinned, Red-tails and Eagles. I was unable to find the residing N. Waterthrush. Also in high numbers were Purple Finch, Song, Golden-crowned and Fox Sparrows, Towhees, Snow Geese and Swans. Several Bewick's and Winter Wrens, both Kinglets, Black-capped and Chestnut-backed Chickadees were present.

Earlier, I stopped at the Stanwood STP and was surprised to find 1 Killdeer and 21 Long-billed Dowitchers sitting out on the ice. Later, I stopped by the residence on Valentin Road near La Conner to watch for the Blue Jay that has been present there. I did not see it, however I did watch a White-throated Sparrow at the feeder. 2 Short-eared Owls were hunting mid-afternoon out at the end of North Fork Access on Fir Island.

Michael Willison, Stanwood, sendtomichael at hotmail.com