[Tweeters] Skagit Co: Bohemian Waxwing, White-thr. Sparrow, more....

Michael Willison sendtomichael at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 20 07:49:36 PST 2008

I had a very enjoyable afternoon, walking the dike trail at the Skagit Game Range, on Fir Island Skagit Co. today. Very clear conditions, no wind and a crisp 11F with a foot of snow covering everything! Highlight was a lone BOHEMIAN WAXWING sitting on top of a bush out near the very end of the new dike (furthest point in the loop from the parking lot). I was even able to digiscope a couple shots through the binos!

Birds were very active today. Thousands of Pine Siskens were in the area, I couldn't find any Redpoll amongst them however. I Observed many Varied Thrush, more Red-breasted Sapsuckers than I've ever seen in a single day (probably 12), Hairy, Downy and Flickers, Merlin, Sharp-shinned, Red-tails and Eagles. I was unable to find the residing N. Waterthrush. Also in high numbers were Purple Finch, Song, Golden-crowned and Fox Sparrows, Towhees, Snow Geese and Swans. Several Bewick's and Winter Wrens, both Kinglets, Black-capped and Chestnut-backed Chickadees were present.

Earlier, I stopped at the Stanwood STP and was surprised to find 1 Killdeer and 21 Long-billed Dowitchers sitting out on the ice. Later, I stopped by the residence on Valentin Road near La Conner to watch for the Blue Jay that has been present there. I did not see it, however I did watch a White-throated Sparrow at the feeder. 2 Short-eared Owls were hunting mid-afternoon out at the end of North Fork Access on Fir Island.

Michael Willison, Stanwood, sendtomichael at hotmail.com
Life on your PC is safer, easier, and more enjoyable with Windows Vista®.