[Tweeters] Battle Ground Yard Birding

Jim Danzenbaker jdanzenbaker at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 19:57:45 PST 2008

Hi Tweeters,

I hope everyone is coping with the inclement weather ok and enjoying
some quality yard birding at the same time.

Between getting ready for my trip and e-mailing, I had my eyes on the
back deck of my house in Battle Ground, Clark County. A pretty good
day (all birds on the deck):

Mourning Dove 2
Red-shafted Flicker 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Black-capped Chickadee 4
Chestnut-backed Chickadee 2
Steller's Jay 2
Western Scrub Jay 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler 1
Varied Thrush 1 (the first one SEEN in the yard this year)
Starling 5
Red-winged Blackbird 2
Spotted Towhee 8 (the most I've ever had)
Song Sparrow 3
Golden-crowned Sparrow 1 (the first one since March)
FOX SPARROW 1 (first for the year - #116)
Dark-eyed Junco 15 (with one Slate-colored and one partial albino)
Purple Finch 1
Evening Grosbeak 10
House Finch 5
Pine Siskin 65
House Sparrow 1

Beyond the deck:

Cackling Goose (several varieties) 600
Canada Goose (several varieties) 200
Mallard 2
Red-tailed Hawk 1
American Kestrel 1
ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK 1 (only the second for the yard)
Killdeer 1
American Robin 5

Keep your ears and eyes skyward.

Jim