[Tweeters] Vantage 2-16-08

Scott Downes downess at charter.net
Sat Feb 16 15:24:02 PST 2008

Birded Vantage this morning under sunny skies with variable wind. Sage Sparrows and Mountain Bluebirds were back on the Vantage Hwy, I had 8 singing male Sage Sparrows and 6 Mountain Bluebirds here. I headed down to Vantage to check out the river. Lots of scaup and common goldeneye, but lacking in the dabbling duck category.
Highlights were:
3 Pacific Loon (1 north of I-90, 2 south of Wanapum Dam)
1 first year Mew Gull, south of Wanapum Dam, new county bird for me, #266.
Both Rock Wrens and Canyon wren along Huntzinger Rd, calling
Good amounts of Bald Eagle, 13 total.
A pair of Peregrine Falcon sitting in the edge of a gravel bar on the river, just north of the railroad bridge, south of Wanapum Dam.
1 Eared Grebe- Wanapum St. Park boat launch.
Say's Phoebe, one along Huntzinger rd, one along Vantage Hwy.
5 more Sage Sparrows singing at entrance to Yakima Training Center along Huntzinger Rd.

The entire bird list was submitted for the GBBC. I pasted it in below for anyone interested in the totals.
A nice day to be out.

Canada Goose - 37
Mallard - 6
Canvasback - 8