[Tweeters] Stevens Pass Skyline Trail snowshoe hike Sunday Feb 17

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at verizon.net
Mon Feb 18 21:41:42 PST 2008

Tweets - spurred by Gene's post and prodding by Matt, my wife and I hiked the Skyline Trail today. It was glorious - sunny, nice, birdy. Our experience was similar to theirs of yesterday, though we missed the Clark's Nutcracker and the Evening Grosbeak, and had to get the Gray Jays down at the ski lodge.

But we had great looks at RED CROSSBILL, many WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL (though perhaps "only" 50), PINE SISKIN, COMMON REDPOLL (more than 10 - maybe 20), and CASSIN'S FINCH. All were seen in both King and Chelan counties, except for the Redpolls which were all in King.

Lacking snowshoes, we hiked in Sorrel boots using ski poles. The trail is well groomed because it's used to service cell towers. As long as it's been several days since a snowfall, I would expect it would be easy to hike it like we did. The whole hike took just 2.5 hours, and we were going SLOWLY.

White-winged Crossbill was my 275th King County species.

== Michael Hobbs
== Kirkland, WA
== http://www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== birdmarymoor at verizon.net