[Tweeters] crossbills and salt

jeff gibson gibsondesign at msn.com
Tue Feb 19 18:10:31 PST 2008

Dale and tweeters

On a family vacation in august of 2003 to the Olympic peninsula we saw Red Crossbills everywhere- a big year for them evidently. Interestingly , came across a few birds apparently getting salt from the beach at the north end of Kalaloch. Reading up on it later I found some good anecdotes about this salt seeking behavior in 'The Birds of Washington State' (university of washington press 1953) which is a great source of washington bird lore if you can find a copy.

Jeff Gibson
Everett Wa.