[Tweeters] Tree Swallows at Sandpoint today

Mark Vernon ma_vern at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 29 15:11:18 PST 2008

Today's weather was beautiful and so were the birds. I went to Warren G. Magnusson Park at Sandpoint to look for the Eurasian Wigeons, I found two in a flock of about 74 American Wigeons. A Common Loon could be seen close to shore. I watched a flock of about 8 Golden-crowned Sparrows chewing on flowering Pussy Willows. Some of them sang.

The high point of my trip was being surpised by two Tree Swallows, who chased one another in flight around the area of the now torn down Commisary. Their calls made me do a double take. Bye bye winter!

I was also interested in the crumbling remains of the Sandpoint Naval Air Station. Does anyone care about these historic ruins? The bunkers were covered in graffiti. It was kind of sad to see them so neglected.

Mark Vernon
Renton, WA
mailto ma_vern at yahoo.com