[Tweeters] Ridgefield NWR: RED-THROATED LOON

Bill Clemons willclemons at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 24 19:38:52 PST 2008

My nonagenarian mother (Olive) and I birded the River "S" Unit at
Ridgefield NWR (~4mi W of I-5 at Exit 14 in SW Washington;
http://www.fws.gov/ridgefieldrefuges/ ).

Highlights:

ICE ICE EVERYWHERE: There was very little open water today, and in
most cases, if you found open water, you found birds. Nearly all of
Rest Lake is frozen, with a narrow open water patch running N/S in the
south center of the lake. Some added open water was against the bank N
of the "three trees" on the E side of Rest Lake just prior to where the
road leaves the lake edge. Most of the water control canals were also
frozen over.

RED-THROATED LOON: Great views, no scope needed, as seen from the
bridge over Lake River. The RED-THROATED LOON was pretty actively
feeding. I saw it from about 100 yds N of the bridge to 200 yds S. At
one point it was right below me as it went under the bridge. Very
Nice treat!

GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE: As we were on the E side of Rest Lake,
this flock of 26 or 27 GREATER WHITE-FRONTEDS flew in from the N,
circled and landed on what little open water there was on the lake.

TREE SWALLOW: It was a pretty cold day for this lone insect hunter, as
it continually crisscrossed the road just west of Long Lake. It seems
to me this fellow is a tad too far north, considering the weather.

BALD EAGLES: I saw about a half dozen today, with no takes, and only
one half hearted pass over Rest Lake to scare up a thousand ducks and
geese.

EAGLE/GOOSE/COYOTE/ICE SHOW: I missed the show, as I arrived about
9:30am. Clay Davis was there early, and counted 17 BALD EAGLES on the
ice on Rest Lake today. He also watched as a 7 juvenile harassed the
birds and got the ducks and geese in the air. One the BALD EAGLES took
a CANADA GOOSE.

Not really a Highlight, n

Bill Clemons
SW of Portland in Mtn Park
Willclemons AT Yahoo dot com

Complete list of 52 species seen / heard:

RED-THROATED LOON (on Lake River, seen from bridge)
Pied-billed Grebe
Double-crested Cormorant (on Lake River, seen from bridge)
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE (26 flew in and landed on Rest Lake)
Cackling Goose
Canada Goose
Tundra Swan
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
CINNAMON TEAL
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Hooded Merganser
Common Merganser (on Lake River, 5 seen from bridge)
Ruddy Duck
Bald Eagle
Northern Harrier
Red-tailed Hawk
HARLAN'S RED-TAILED HAWK
ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK
American Kestrel
American Coot
Sandhill Crane
KILLDEER (E of R/R tracks on S side of road)
Gull (Species)
Red-breasted Sapsucker (entrance canyon)
Northern Flicker
Steller's Jay
Western Scrub-Jay
American Crow
TREE SWALLOW (1 seen just W of Long Lake)
Black-capped Chickadee
Red-breasted Nuthatch (heard - entrance canyon)
White-breasted Nuthatch
Bewick's Wren
Winter Wren (heard - entrance canyon)
Marsh Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
American Robin
European Starling
Audubon's Yellow-rumped Warbler
Spotted Towhee
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Golden-crowned Sparrow
Brewer's Blackbird (1 seen near entrance booth)