[Tweeters] Help for east coast birder

Lily Hudson lilyhudson at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 28 05:50:59 PDT 2008

I didn't get any responses to my message below so I guess, as I suspected, the target shorebirds aren't known to be around. In that case, I had three quick follow-up questions: (1) is there any particular advice as to exact places in the Hurricane Ridge to look for sooty grouse? I gather I look for clumps of vegetation in meadows, but if there are particular meadows I should try, or something else, that would be great to know; (2) to maximize grouse chances on a weekend day, do I need to aim to get there very early in the morning? Or if I get away from crowds are my odds as good any time of day? (My lifer Blue (now Dusky) was in the middle of the day right off a crowded trail). (3) Are there any coastal areas with roughly comparable beauty to Ruby Beach closer to Westport? I'm trying to decide what to do with my day where I wake up in Seattle and end in Westport.

Thanks,

Paul
Arlington, VA