[Tweeters] Lazuli Buntings at Stillwater - Eurasian Collared Doves - ? Ringed Turtle Doves

Rob Conway robin_birder at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 2 12:38:54 PDT 2008

Small correction to Barry's report - The Tolt Hill Bridge reopened with a great deal of fanfare this past weekend. A nice structure with good community input on design, placement and historical significance. A nice "mature" lady who has used the bridge almost daily since it opened in 1923 led the parade of cars over the new bridge in a vintage car - pretty sweet.

I found the Yellow Breasted Chat yesterday at Stillwater - noisy, noisy once located. I also found a single male Yellow-Headed Blackbird. Purple Finches were all over the valley.

I had previously reported that I saw a pair of Eurasian Collared Doves with a juvenile on top of the Fall City Cafe sign in Fall City. I saw the birds again - just across the river and in the better light I now think these might be Ringed Turtle Doves from the softer cooooocoookrooo call and somehthing about the look that just isn't right - it is had to tell the too apart especially with limited experience, but someone dumping pet doves (though dispicable) just isn't that far out of the realm of possibility. Rob Conway Preston / Fall City, WAlatitude 47 32' 20" , longitude -121 54' 42" robin_birder at hotmail.com> Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 11:18:03 -0700> From: LevineB at bsd405.org> To: tweeters at u.washington.edu> Subject: [Tweeters] Lazuli Buntings at Stillwater> > Jack Stephens and I led an Audubon field trip for our Beginning Birder class to Marymoor and the Carnation area yesterday. 3 Lazuli Buntings were seen at Stillwater Wildlife area (north of the town of Carnation). >From the parking lot (Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife parking pass necessary) head to your right on the trail and in about 100 yards take the trail that veers off to your left. After 2 left turns listen for the birds. Also of note in the area were a Pied-billed Grebe and a Hooded Merganser both with young in tow. For those who have never seen Pied-billed Grebe babies, that is probably worth the trip in and of itself. We did not see or hear the Yellow-breasted Chat that has been previously reported. > For those planning on doing this as part of a Carnation Marsh trip you should be aware that the bridge that crosses over the river to NE Tolt Hill is closed because it is being rebuilt. So you will have to plan your trip with that in mind.> > Barry Levine> Seattle> levineb at bsd405.org> _______________________________________________> Tweeters mailing list> Tweeters at u.washington.edu> http://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/tweeters