[Tweeters] WOS Meeting Last Night

Kathy Andrich chukarbird at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 3 09:34:12 PDT 2008

Hi Tweeters,

I didn't get a chance to bird before the meeting but at the meeting I did hear Cedar Waxwings, House Sparrows, White-crowned Sparrows, Killdeer, American Crows, and a Song Sparrow outside the door.

It was members photo night and Mike Dermond (sp?) brought some amazing short video's of Anna's Hummingbird nest and nest activity. Two things I learned is that the chicks do not beg, even the older ones when they can see the mother bird at the nest. We couldn't hear if they were vocalizing but their bill stayed closed until they chose to accept the feeding. Then it was sword-swallowing time. The other thing is that the chicks are very fastidious about the nest and do not soil it. He had an amusing video of the chicks aiming and firing outside of the nest. You certainly do not want to stand too close to the nest at this time. The video's were taken at Magnuson Park, he said they found about 6 Anna's nests there so far this year.

Kathy
Roosting in Kent, near Lake Meridian
(chukarbird at yahoo dot com)