[Tweeters] MacGillivray's Warbler at Nisqually

Ruth Sullivan godwit513 at msn.com
Sun Jun 8 08:03:25 PDT 2008

Hello Tweeters,
After a long time all morning looking at the second Swainson's Thrush in my
yard, I decided to going to Nisqually kind of late 1.00 PM, but better than
never,this is not to fat to drive This time I did not take my scope since
the tide was way out,and we did had few birds the other day on the
mudflats.The weather was surprisingly nice no wind ,no rain.there where some
dark clouds where it looked as it would rain,but it stayed dry the fife
hours I spend doing the whole loop.
Talking about pishen,I never could master this specialty.Since I starting
the whistle for the Swainson's Thrushes I also attracted other birds with
this whit call,this was amazing.The MacGillivray's Warbler I found on the
end of the Boardwalk from the barns,again I
start calling for the Swainson's Thrush who called back,but did not show,but
than the MacGillivray's came out from the deep underbrush for some good
looks,I also attracted 8 Yellow Warblers on Mc Callister trail or was this
my imagination,that this was the last time of the day there would be
active.Birding on Thursday starting at 8.00 did not produced the birds I had
yesterday starting late,I started going the road to McCallister ending on
the barn..Here are the birds I saw.PIED-BILLED GREBES 7 the other day we had
non.WOOD DUCKS 2 adults with 3 young.2 pair CINNAMON TEALS with 1 single
MALE CINNAMON TEAL,BLUE-WINGED TEALS 2 pairs adult, AM.COOT 1 (where we had
Virginia Rails on this spot)WILSON'S WARBLERS 4,YELLOW WARBLERS
8,BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE 1
SWAINSON'S THRUSHES 4, FLYCATCHERS, WILLOW 2,WESTERN PEWEE 1, OLIVE -SIDED
1,BEWICK'S WREN 3, WABLING VIREO1,CEDAR WAXWINGS 5, AM.ROBIN'S (every
where) WESTERN TANAGER 1
BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK 2, GREAT -BLUE HERON 15 (feeding on the
mudflats),COMMON YELLOWTHROAD'S 6(all on boardwalk) Only two species of
Sparrows SAVANNAH 1 and SONG SPARROW 25 with 1 ALBINO ( all white head)we
had this bird on Thursday,PURPLE FINCHES 6,(there are always in
Nisqually)This birds are known in some areas in large numbers,and some areas
non,we used to have them here in Fircrest but non now.
5 SPECIES OF SWALLOWS TREE,VIOLET GREEN,CLIFF, BARN and NORTHERN
ROUGH-WINGED
RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRDS 2( around the Barn) BALD EAGLE 3,The only Shorebird
KILLDEER 2,BITTERN 1
NO GULLS OR HAWKS .It was nice to be out and I enjoyed the birds I did had.

Cheers Ruth Sullivan