[Tweeters] Red-eyed Vireos + more @ Juanita Bay Park

Tayler Brooks ornithophile at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 14:23:16 PDT 2008

Hello there Tweeters,

This morning there were 2 RED-EYED VIREOS at Juanita Bay Park. One was
singing from the entrance of the east boardwalk and the other vocalized
somewhere deep within the thick foliage along the cement walkway that goes
by the shoreline. I coaxed one vireo out of hiding with a screech-owl
impression. It flew from its hidden perch to an exposed one only 10 feet in
front of me. Beautiful! Other highlights include 1 female COMMON GOLDENEYE
floating out on the bay. An adult male flew over the park while I was there
yesterday morning. 1 female LAZULI BUNTING was foraging in the cattails by
the east boardwalk. 3 OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHERS and a PURPLE FINCH were
present today and yesterday, both species singing their hearts out.
Yesterday there were 40 BLACK SWIFTS soaring in various locations over the
park, today there were 14. A female COMMON MERGANSER made an appearance over
the parking lot. 3 SWAINSON'S THRUSHES (one in the western side of the
park, the other two in the eastern) sang and called but refused to show
themselves. Yesterday I heard and had great views of VIRGINIA RAILS (about 3
in all), but today not a peep was to be heard from any of them. Below is
the eBird report.

Happy birding!

Tayler Brooks
Brier, WA
ornithophile at gmail.com
Location: Juanita Bay Park
Observation date: 6/12/08
Number of species: 59

Wood Duck - Aix sponsa 9 (7 babies)
Gadwall - Anas strepera 4
Mallard - Anas platyrhynchos 14 (5 babies)
Common Goldeneye - Bucephala clangula 1
Common Merganser - Mergus merganser 1
Great Blue Heron - Ardea herodias 3
Bald Eagle - Haliaeetus leucocephalus 3
Red-tailed Hawk - Buteo jamaicensis 2
Ring-billed Gull - Larus delawarensis 8
Western Gull - Larus occidentalis 1
Glaucous-winged Gull - Larus glaucescens 1
Rock Pigeon - Columba livia 7
Band-tailed Pigeon - Patagioenas fasciata 4
Black Swift - Cypseloides niger 15
Anna's Hummingbird - Calypte anna 1
Rufous Hummingbird - Selasphorus rufus 4
Red-breasted Sapsucker - Sphyrapicus ruber 4
Downy Woodpecker - Picoides pubescens 4
Northern Flicker - Colaptes auratus 3
Pileated Woodpecker - Dryocopus pileatus 1
Olive-sided Flycatcher - Contopus cooperi 3
Western Wood-Pewee - Contopus sordidulus 4
Willow Flycatcher - Empidonax traillii 2
Pacific-slope Flycatcher - Empidonax difficilis 1
Warbling Vireo - Vireo gilvus 2
Red-eyed Vireo - Vireo olivaceus 2
Steller's Jay - Cyanocitta stelleri 2
American Crow - Corvus brachyrhynchos 10
Tree Swallow - Tachycineta bicolor 12
Violet-green Swallow - Tachycineta thalassina 17
Barn Swallow - Hirundo rustica 15
Black-capped Chickadee - Poecile atricapillus 7
Chestnut-backed Chickadee - Poecile rufescens 5
Bushtit - Psaltriparus minimus 5
Red-breasted Nuthatch - Sitta canadensis 2
Brown Creeper - Certhia americana 3
Bewick's Wren - Thryomanes bewickii 3
Winter Wren - Troglodytes troglodytes 1
Marsh Wren - Cistothorus palustris 2
Golden-crowned Kinglet - Regulus satrapa 2
Swainson's Thrush - Catharus ustulatus 3
American Robin - Turdus migratorius 16
European Starling - Sturnus vulgaris 75
Cedar Waxwing - Bombycilla cedrorum 40
Yellow Warbler - Dendroica petechia 2
Common Yellowthroat - Geothlypis trichas 3
Wilson's Warbler - Wilsonia pusilla 1
Spotted Towhee - Pipilo maculatus 6
Song Sparrow - Melospiza melodia 16
Black-headed Grosbeak - Pheucticus melanocephalus 5
Lazuli Bunting - Passerina amoena 1
Red-winged Blackbird - Agelaius phoeniceus 21
Brown-headed Cowbird - Molothrus ater 10
Bullock's Oriole - Icterus bullockii 1
Purple Finch - Carpodacus purpureus 1
House Finch - Carpodacus mexicanus 5
Pine Siskin - Carduelis pinus 7
American Goldfinch - Carduelis tristis 12
House Sparrow - Passer domesticus 2