[Tweeters] Marymoor Park Report (Redmond, King Co., WA) 2008-06-12

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at verizon.net
Fri Jun 13 09:57:36 PDT 2008

Tweets - I had to remind people that yesterday's weather was actually good,
not bad. They were complaining about cold. In Garfield County on Tuesday,
I had cold. 24 degrees, howling wind, and snow. Yeah, yeah, I was at 5500
ft., but still... Eastern WA was windy for six of the seven days I was over
there. Yesterday at Marymoor was blessedly windless, and I think the
temperature got to about 60 at one point. Sure it wasn't a nice sunny day,
but picky picky picky...

Mammals highlighted the day. First, we had a LONG-TAILED WEASEL going after
a bunny (until it saw us) just south of the Dog Area. Then, at the lake
platform, we watched a RACCOON swim out about 100 yards underneath the new
dock (for the new development). It was swimming directly under the jetty
portion, between the pylons, all the way to the floating platform where it
swam around and dove for a minute before swimming all the way back.
Bizarre. Then, along the southeast portion of the East Meadow there were
two more LONG-TAILED WEASELS, one of which had spots or brindling on its
back - this year's young? Along the main road just north of the compost
piles, someone spotted a TOWNSEND'S MOLE running along the base of the curb,
unable to get up and away. Alexia and Georgia rushed over to rescue it.
When they got it onto the grass, it immediately burrowed underground,
causing worms to flee in wormy terror. Finally, at the Rowing Club, we had
yet a fourth LTWE. Lots of Eastern Cottontails and Eastern Gray Squirrels
rounded out the mammal list. There were Red-eared Slider and Painted
Turtles at the Rowing Club, and hoards of nasty, biting MOSQUITOES,
especially south of the Dog Area on both approaches to the boardwalk.

Now for birds:

Black Swift 20+ over the park all morning
W. KINGBIRD Flycatching along Snag Row
Warbling Vireo *Vireo invisibilis* singing grandly
Red-eyed Vireo Mosquitos kept us from even thinking of trying to see
it.
Swainson's Thrush Singing AND giving us good looks
Lazuli Bunting Singing from north of fields 7-8-9
Bullock's Oriole 1-2 first-year males being pretty obvious

Nesting highlights:

Canada Goose Goslings almost fully feathered
Wood Duck Several females w/ducklings of a range of sizes
Mallard Several females with fairly large young
Green Heron On nest at Rowing Club
R.-b. Sapsucker Nest hole with young in the Cottonwood Forest
W. Wood-Pewee Building nest just south of Dog Area
Tree Swallow Nesting in natural cavity as well as many boxes
B.c. Chickadee Feeding fledged young at the Rowing Club
Bushtit Nest found
Cedar Waxwing Found a nest being built

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. Lots of spotted young robins already on their
own. No activity seen at either the Cooper's Hawk nest or the Bald Eagle
nest. I didn't really check the Red-tailed Hawk or Osprey nests, though the
latter is likely still active.

We also found a dead VAUX'S SWIFT that apppeared to have tried to roost
about one foot off the ground, nestled into a deep groove in the bark of a
large Douglas Fir. It looked like it may have gone to sleep and expired
from exposure/starvation perhaps. No sign of trauma.

For the day, 61 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== Kirkland, WA
== http://www.marymoor.org/birding.htm