[Tweeters] Goshawk and stellars jays

Rob Sandelin floriferous at msn.com
Sat Jun 14 20:28:41 PDT 2008

I was in the parking area of Barclay lake, 4 miles north of the town of
Baring on US 2 waiting for students. As I stood quietly a pair of jays
starting called and making lots of racket down the slope and in a few
minutes they were within visual range. They were flying oddly, with lots of
dips and swerves and then a third bird, larger came into view briefly. The
three of them continued upslope towards the meadow which I was at the top
off and the larger bird perched and I was able to ID it as a Goshawk. The
jays were heckling it, yelling and swooping, but not too close. The hawk
made a sudden dive down into the meadow and some small bird zipped into the
brush in a hurry, the hawk pulled up crossing the road nearby, the jays in
lagging pursuit. For several minutes I could hear the jays as they
continued to move up the hill.

Later a dipper hopped up onto shore of the lake, bobbing on a small rock,
within 5 feet of a couple of students. It worked the shoreline, and
continued to be unphased by this group of rather noisy kids. I had left the
bird books back at the car at the trailhead and when we returned, even the
tired moms all wanted to figure out the cool bird.

Rob Sandelin
Naturalist, Writer
Snohomish, WA