[Tweeters] Forster's Tern and Bonaparte's Gull at Ridgefield NWR

Roger Windemuth roger at windemuths.com
Mon Jun 16 14:18:23 PDT 2008

Today, in the morning, I saw a pair of Forster's Terns at Rest Lake at the
River "S" Unit of the Ridgefield NWR. I spent about 45 min. watching them
and taking pictures (pictures are available on request), although at a
distance. I went around the lake to, hopefully, get a better view and in
route I called Bob Flores, Manager of the refuge. He joined me and when we
looked again, could not locate them. We drove to several smaller lakes in
the refuge and still could not find them. I left Bob and he went to the
Carty Unit and there he located the pair on the NW side of Carty Lake at
about noon. I understand that the Forster's Tern has had very few sightings
in Clark County.

I also saw an immature Bonaparte's Gull yesterday morning in the same
location on Rest Lake. Al Larrabee confirmed the identification a little
after I did.

Roger Windemuth

roger at windemuths.com