[Tweeters] Re: PNW wildflower guides

Mark Egger m.egger at comcast.net
Tue Jun 17 19:11:23 PDT 2008

As an addendum to Randy & Wayne's comments, I'd like to provide a
cautionary note about the range maps in Turner & Gustafson (as well
as most other field guides). Though I highly recommend this book &
agree it is the most up to date & useful reference for beginning
botanists in our region, the range maps contain many inaccuracies and
are often misleading. They are based on county-level database
records, for which it is vital to remember the following points:

1. The data in the database is only as accurate as the original IDs,
many of which may be suspect.
2. A single, often very old record from a given county causes the
entire county to be shown as within the species' range.
3. That one record may be limited to a marginal corner of a very
large county lacking any other occurrences of that species and/or the
site may have long ago been destroyed by development, agriculture,
and/or noxious weeds, the bane of native plants and nesting prairie
birds.

So, while the range maps should not be disregarded and give some idea
of where a species probably DOESN'T occur, they should not be treated
as infallible.

That being said, if you like NW wildflowers, buy this excellent book
AND check out the Burke Museum web site listed below, which contains
thousands of well-curated, diagnostic, and often very beautiful
images of the flora of Washington state (for free!)

Mark

--
Mark Egger
Seattle, WA