[Tweeters] Sexual imprinting is a mechanism of speciation? and a gorgeous photo (links)

Devorah Bennu birdologist at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 19 17:39:41 PDT 2008

Hello tweeties,

Sexual imprinting as a mechanism of speciation is controversial in the scientific community. However, a recent paper about "Darwin's finches" documents that this is indeed what is happening in a population of Medium Ground Finches;

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2008/06/sexual_imprinting_provides_hel.php

I also want to draw your attention to a gorgeous photograph provided to "Image of the Day" by a photojournalist, Jeff Larsen, who retired from the Seattle P-I;

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2008/06/marsh_wren.php

GrrlScientist
Devorah
http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/
Roosting high up a tree somewhere in Central Park, NYC