[Tweeters] Lake Co, Oregon, day 4, 6/19/08

Mark Vernon ma_vern at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 12:00:32 PDT 2008

Hart Mountain Antelope Refuge

June 19th, 2008. Continuing my sightings at the Refuge......
We started this day with a walk up a place in the Refuge called Robinson's Draw. This did not have a trail, and once again the Mosquitoes were terrible. The birds were great. In the Aspen forests were many kinds of Warblers and Flycatchers. I had trouble sorting out the Flycatchers here. I believe I was seeing and hearing Dusky and Cordilleran Flycatchers. There was a very diminutive and pale Flycatcher. I was thinking Hammond's or as a long shot, Least Flycatcher. But I am not familiar enough with the latter. There were Western Wood-pewees, which I know well.

Most exciting for me was my first sighting of a Green-tailed Towhee. I found it singing at the top of the Draw, perched on top of a granite outcrop. It's crest of red threw me off at first. I had gorgeous views. Later that evening I located more Green-tailed Towhees near our camp. If it was possible the mosquitoes were at their worst around this granite outcrop. There must have been some hidden pools.

After this we returned to camp and soaked in the hot springs. The shallower pool was hotter than the deep pool. Later that evening I went Snipe hunting with a big gunnysack....

Mark Vernon
Renton, WA
mailto ma_vern at yahoo.com