[Tweeters] Goldfinches vs Coopers Hawk

Kathy Andrich chukarbird at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 21:39:29 PDT 2008

Hi Tweeters,

I stopped by the pond off of 212th in Kent today (they are down the hill from the Orillia exit off of I-5, 2nd stoplight at the botton of the hill on the south side.)

A Coopers Hawk flew through and the American Goldfinch reaction I have never seen before. About 20 of them flew up and escorted the hawk out of there. It was almost humorous to see the loopy-flighted goldfinches "chase" the hawk. The hawk left without a meal.

Also of note was a Mourning Dove and a male Northern Shoveler.

Kathy
Roosting in Kent, near Lake Meridian
(chukarbird at yahoo dot com)