[Tweeters] Re: Probable Xantu's Murrelet

Mike Patterson celata at pacifier.com
Mon Jun 30 10:00:31 PDT 2008

While I encourage folks to go check this out, just to make sure,
it's worth pointing out that we are entering juvenile MARBLED
MURRELET season. Unlike most alcids, Marbled Murrelets have to
fully fledge before leaving the nest, so they're close to full-
size and black and white. The white bar on the upper back is
not alway evident on juveniles.

We usually start seeing fledged juvenile Marbles about this time
of year (though the peak comes in July). My first reaction is
almost always Xantu's.

Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR
celata at pacifier.com