[Tweeters] Longview Red-necked Phalaropes

washingtonbirder.Knittle washingtonbirder at hotmail.com
Mon May 12 19:00:49 PDT 2008

Sunday evening I talked to Russ Koppendrayer from Cowlitz Co. who had just found the 1'st records of Red-necked Phalarope in Cowlitz Co. at the Mint Farm Mitigation Ponds along with Allen Richards. Today, Monday, Anne Kahle and I went there and found 8 of them along with 2 White-fronted Geese, 4 Cackling Geese, 2 Yellow-headed Blackbirds, Greater Yellowlegs, Spotted and Least Sandpipers. This is a jewel of a place for possible good birds that Russ just discovered recently.

Directions:

Take Hwy 4 and drive west to 38th Ave.

Turn left on 38th Ave. and go to Hwy 432

Turn left (east) on Hwy 432.

Watch for The Mint Farm sign at the next stop light and turn left (north) here.

Turn right onto Crocker Ave. and go to the end. During the week workers with heavy machinery are working here so we drove back a ways and parked in the sub-station area so we wouldn't block traffic.

Walk out across the grassy fields which is quite a ways over to the ponds. On the way we ran into wet areas which had Least Sandpipers, Canada Geese with 2 White-fronted Geese and Greater Yellowlegs. You know you are getting close to the ponds when you see white upright pipes used as a sprinkler system in years past.

The Spotted Sandpipers and Red-necked Phalarope were in the two deepest ponds. The yellow-headed Blackbirds were in the back ponds.

We also stopped at Willow Grove Park further west on Hwy 432 and had a Western Kingbird on the western end of the park.

Garfield Co. is now the only county without a record of Red-necked Phalrope. Late summer might be the time for that county around Central Ferry.

Ken KnittleVancouver WA 98665 mailto:washingtonbirder at hotmail.com Washington Birder online http://www.wabirder.com/