[Tweeters] HUMMINGBIRD BANDING at Tom Lambs

mike denny m.denny at charter.net
Sat May 17 18:17:07 PDT 2008

Hello All,
Yesterday afternoon/evening I had the opportunity to record while Ned and
Gigi Batchelder set up and banded hummingbirds at Tom Lambs out of Dixie.
Toms yard is currently buzzing with 400+ hummers and is well worth a visit
in the evening. Ned and Gigi captured and banded 25 hummers during their
effort. This was in the space of 2.5 hours. All of these tiny birds were
handled with great care and released unharmed. They then moved their
opperation to our College Place yard where they captured and banded six
hummers. This is a real art. These folks are so careful and do this out of
great care for the species. They have banded 20,000+ hummers and have never
lost a bird. You thought a Calliope was small in your binocs! You should see
one right up close. They weigh 2.5-2.7 grams. This was a very interesting
evening and very nice folks to spend time with.
Later Mike

Mike & MerryLynn Denny
1354 S. E. Central Ave.
College Place, WA 99324
509.529.0080 (h)

IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN BIRDING, YOU HAVEN'T LIVED!