[Tweeters] thanks for Wenas info

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Mon May 26 10:12:40 PDT 2008

Dear Tweeters,

Thanks to all the Tweeters for the information on the Audubon
Wenas campout. I enjoyed my two and a half days there, and saw many
of the species I had hoped to see: White-headed Woodpecker, Grey Flycatcher, Western and Mountain Bluebirds, Vesper Sparrow, Yellow-breasted Chat, and so forth. I enjoyed Eugene Hunn's lecture, rain-dampened though it was, on the Indians of the Wenas area. It was also touching to attend the memorial service for Patrick Sullivan, and learn more about the contributions that Patrick made to the Audubon campout for many years. Finally, it was great to reacquaint myself with some birders I had not seen in a long time, and to make some new friends.

However...

[Danger! The following paragraphs contain Schopenhauerian grumblings...]

Motorized recreationists have made Wenas a much less attractive place than it was even 15 years ago, when I used to go there regularly. My trips were usually in June, July, and August; I do not remember seeing more than an occasional offroad jeepster back then.

This weekend, there are scores of people at Wenas who seem to have no other joy in life but to create din, dust, and disturbance. I cannot fathom why they bother going to such a beautiful place. They could as easily wallow in ugliness at a location where hideousness already reigns.

I have been told that the motorheads were part of a group, including fishermen and birders, who helped convince Boise-Cascade to keep the campground open. Thus the birders, wildflower lovers, and others of great soul have had to ally themselves with a rabble. What a diabolical compromise!

Yours truly,

Gary Bletsch